Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Friday, 5th March 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) to improve surveillance and control around the nation’s borders.
According to a statement by Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, the President gave the directive in his speech at the virtual inauguration of the NIS Technology Building on Thursday in Abuja.
The statement was titled “President Buhari directs Immigration Service to tighten security around borders, urges security outfits to raise performance.”
The President directed the NIS to ensure that criminals do not find Nigeria as a safe haven to hide and perpetuate their criminality.
He also urged the NIS to collaborate with international security organizations like INTERPOL to safegaurd Nigeria’s borders.
The Nigerian Army has dismissed reports that its officers and soldiers deserted after the Boko Haram attack on Marte and Dikwa communities in Borno State.
Recall that reports emerged on Wednesday that Army declared 12 officers and 86 soldiers missing following an attack by Boko Haram insurgents on Marte and Dikwa.
The record was allegedly contained in a signal released on the 1st of March from Operation Lafiya Dole Headquarters in Maiduguri. It was revealed that three majors, three captains, six lieutenants, three sergeants and 89 gallant soldiers fled in the aftermath.
But the Director Army Public Relations Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima, in a statement, described the report as unfounded and an attempt to malign its image.
Yerima however blamed the misinformation on a faulty internal correspondence leaked to the media.
President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated his conviction in the indivisibility of Nigeria, stressing that the unity of the country is non-negotiable.
Naija News reports that President Buhari made this known in a meeting with Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State and his Chief of Staff, Professor Ibrahim Gambari.
The Kogi governor was at the Presidential Villa on Thursday to brief him of progress so far made in resolving the north/south food blockage crisis.
Speaking after the meeting, Yahaya Bello quoted Buhari as commending the efforts put by prominent Nigerians into reaching peace.
Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on Thursday, has accused drug barons of funding insurgent groups to cause insecurity in the country.
He stated this when the Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Brigadier-General Buba Marwa (Rtd), paid a visit to his office on Thursday at the National Assembly, Abuja.
Lawan blamed the lingering insecurity in Nigeria on the funding activities of these drug lords.
The nation’s number three citizen said such drug barons, who engage in trafficking heroin, cannabis and cocaine, have made Nigeria a major transit route for plying the illicit trade, which he added, was responsible for the rise in criminality in the country.
President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo will on Saturday receive shots of AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccines.
Naija News reports that this was disclosed to the Presidential Villa on Thursday by the Executive Director, National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Dr Faisal Shuaib.
He stated that the exercise will boost the confidence of Nigerians to receive the about four million doses of AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccine shipped into the country this week.
The NPHCDA boss urged Nigerians who wish to receive the vaccines to register on the website of the agency.
The National President of the Miners Association of Nigeria (MAN), Kabir Kankara, says its members do not have any link with bandits.
The Federal Government on Tuesday announced a ban on mining activities in Zamfara and also declared the state a no-fly zone following the recent abduction of schoolgirls in the state.
According to the federal government, the steps are to curb the rising insecurity in the state.
Speaking in an interview with NAN on Thursday in Abuja, Kankara said tackling insecurity in the state was a timely and welcome development as it was for the safety of lives and property.
The Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) has dismissed reports that it has begun fresh recruitment into the federal civil service.
Naija News reports the Deputy Director of Press in the FCSC office, Eniola Babaoye, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
According to the Chairman of the FCSC, Tukur Ingawa, the federal government ban on employment was still in effect until the Head of Service of the Federation (HOSF) lifts it.
He said he is currently focused on the discharge of the mandates of the core values of Nigeria’s civil service.
Special forces of the Nigerian Military in conjunction with the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) have inflicted fresh casualties on terrorists in the North East region of the country.
According to highly placed military sources, the troops neutralized several Boko Haram fighters who tried to invade Marte in Borno State on Wednesday.
The source explained that the terrorists who rode on motorcycles and gun trucks planned to attack the community but were successfully ambushed and repelled by the soldiers.
Many of the terrorists were killed during the clash which ensued while no casualty was recorded on the part of the soldiers.
9. Ortom Imposes Curfew, Bans Use Of Toyota Corolla In Benue LGAs Over Killing Of Ex-Governor’s Brother
The Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has announced a dusk-to-dawn curfew on three local government areas of the state following the killing of Terkura Suswam, the elder brother of the former governor of Benue State, Senator Gabriel Suswam, who was killed Tuesday night.
Ortom also banned the use of the Toyota Corolla old model vehicle known in Benue as ‘duck yansh’ in the affected local government areas.
The three local government areas affected by the directive are Ukum, Katsina-Alla, and Logo politically known as Sankera axis.
The Governor announced the moves at the end of the expanded State Security Council meeting held at the Government House, Makurdi.
The Governor’s directive however made an exception for those using the banned vehicle for commercial purposes but warned that such vehicle must be properly documented and the owners must go to the park to load.
A popular bandits’ leader, Rufai Maikaji terrorizing some areas in Kaduna has been killed alongside dozens of his fighters during an airstrike in Kaduna State.
The death of the bandit was confirmed in a statement by the Kaduna State Commissioner for Internal Security, Mr. Samuel Aruwan.
Aruwan said Maikaji, believed to be responsible for the killing of many innocent residents as well as kidnapping and animal rustling was eliminated during air raids by the military in Igabi Local Government Area in February.
The statement added that the bandits’ leader was killed along with several of his soldiers while they were attempting to escape bombardments by the military.